This is a big year for us with two kids in school now. I have found this first week of back to school to be pretty overwhelming for all of us! Just getting the kids (mostly the younger one) on a schedule to be able to wake up in time hasn’t really worked itself out yet. But we are getting there. At least I had lunchboxes for the kids! I think the two summer classroom visits we did with my daughter really helped prepare her for her first ever day of school But there are definitely some things to note for next year.
- If one child needs an emergency kit at school, that probably means the other does too.
- A change of clothes in the cubby for a pre-schooler is a good idea not matter how long they have been potty trained
- Get all clothes that don’t fit out of the closet.
- Maybe going on a vacation in a 3 hour different time zone the week before school starts is not the best for getting the kids back on school schedule.
- Have something prepared for share day before the morning it needs to be taken to school.
- Consider skipping nighttime activities week one of school
And some things that went well..
- Out to a special dinner and ice cream after the first day of school
- Making lunches the night before
- Picking out the kids clothes the night before (I have always done this and it is a big time saver)
- Leaving lots of time for talking during bedtime to prepare for the next day
- Take a picture of the kids on the first day of school
Kudos to my daughter’s dance teacher and my son’s sports coach who don’t start class until the week after school starts so the kids can get adjusted. I am looking forward to a quiet evening at home with the family tonight!