Fall has become the wedding season. It is such an honor when your little girl is asked to be in a wedding. Here are a few suggestions to keep everyone happy on the big day.
For mom of the flower girl:
- It is your responsibility to pay for the dress, but not necessarily to pick it out. You may make suggestions to the bride if you find an appropriate or reasonably priced dress. But at the end of the day, it is the bride’s decision.
- Your daughter needs to be available for all wedding related functions including the rehearsal dinner and pictures. You should, however, check with the bride to make sure she is invited to each wedding function.
- Prepare your child for the big day so she knows exactly what is going on and will be expected of her. No surprises!
- Try to go with the flow. Brides get stressed out – don’t take it personally!
For the bride:
- Be considerate of your flower girl’s age when choosing a flower girl dress and try to keep the price reasonable.
- Keep open communication with your flower girl’s mother so she is never guessing about what events the child should attend, including the bridal shower and the rehearsal dinner.
- If you want an adults only reception, think twice about including a flower girl in your ceremony since you would need to invite her to the reception. Consider inviting family member’s children to the reception so there are a small group of children or not having a flower girl as part of the event.
- The flower girl should be seated with her parents at the reception, not with the bridal party.
- Take the pictures that include the flower girl as early as possible and all at one time. You want photos with a smiles so don’t leave her sitting around for long periods of time with nothing to do.
Remember to have fun and enjoy the day!